1. Within moments someone will ask you “so when are you getting married?” At first this question will be fun but quickly it will annoy you and/or give you anxiety.
2. People from all eras of your life will pop up out of nowhere to congratulate you. On top of already feeling super loved, you’ll hear from so many people and that loving feeling will just overwhelm you. You also might get a congratulation or two from people who it’s just awkward to get a congratulation from. Umm, thanks?
3. Someone will make an assumption about being invited to your wedding. Whether it’s a Facebook comment of “can’t wait for the wedding!” or an in-person, unavoidable “I’m invited to the wedding, right?”, someone is bound to think they’re on the list when they aren’t. You’ll quickly perfect the art of smiling and changing the subject.
4. You’ll do a little research and realize that all those people who said weddings were expensive were absolutely right. Even with a tiny guest list, the bill gets not tiny real fast.
5. Picking the color of your manicure will suddenly feel like a life or death decision. Red? Pale pink? Gold with glitter? I CAN’T DECIDE.
6. There will be one picture of your ring that is just perfection. Then you’ll use that one over and over again.
7. You will still have to empty the dishwasher, do the laundry, and pick up dog poo (with that new sparkler on your hand). Basically, life keeps happening even though it kind of feels like it shouldn’t, just for a little while. Following our engagement brunch, N told me that his Mom was in town and we immediately spent an hour cleaning our apartment to make it acceptable for visitors (note: we are not clean people).
8. Your relationship might just be exactly the same as it was before. Maybe the only thing that’s different is that thing on your finger. If you are anything like us, this is exactly as you want it to be.
I’d try to promise to not to keep posting about engagement/wedding stuff but I don’t like to make promises I can’t keep. That cheerful, holiday feeling might be over but the “we just got engaged” feeling is 100 times better and just hasn’t stopped.