I’ve mentioned it before that Naveed and I met at work.
(I think I got pretty lucky)
1. He’s already background checked! Yup, HR did all the digging for you. Score! He’s felony free.
2. It makes going to work exponentially more fun. You know those butterflies in your stomach when you get a text from him? Yup, you have those all day long. Especially if you can catch a glimpse of him occasionally from your cubicle.
3. Secrets don’t make friends, but they make great lovers. That smirk on your face? Your cubicle mates have No. Freakin. Clue. Sneaking around with someone you are legitimately dating can be a ton of fun.
4. When you act ridiculous on weekends (i.e. making out in bars, dancing inappropriately, see above), it gives you something to giggle about over office communicator on Monday.
5. In their twenties, people are changing jobs constantly. If it doesn’t work out, there’s a really good chance neither of you are lifers at the company. One of you will be gone in a year or two. Only a year or two of awkwardness (somehow, that was supposed to make you feel better) might be worth the risk to find the guy.
6. Other people are doing it! Look around your office. Is there a guy/girl pair that eats lunch together just a little too often? You won’t be the first ones doing it. I promise.
7. Think about it really hard. You know a great couple who met at work. You do. Both of my parents met their spouses at work. It’s not unheard of and hey, it’s gotta work out for someone.